Here are 5 tips to help you top the search results and attract more students!
1. Profile picture: don’t forget to smile…
In 40 milliseconds, we’re able to draw our own conclusions on a person based off their photo alone. Various studies have shown that the key to looking ‘approachable’ (quite important in the tutoring world) is simply to smile. And the bigger, the better. 🙂 You’ll need to get the basics right, too – so just make sure your photo isn’t crazily cropped, blurry or upside down.
2. About Me: who are you? (Who who, who who)
The ‘About Me’ section is a chance for you to show people what you do and who you really are. What you want to communicate isn’t just who you are and what you do, but why you do it.
Here, you can share your values and what you really care about, so think about answering the following:
- What do you study / what’s your career?
- What makes you a great tutor?
- Why do you tutor?
- What do you like doing in your spare time?
- What would students and parents want to know about you?
3. Tutoring experience
If you’ve tutored before, the “Tutoring Experience” section is the perfect place to show off your CV.
First, add the number of hours you’ve taught in total (there’s a number field for this). Then, you may want to consider answering:
- How long have you been tutoring for?
- How many students have you taught?
- What specific exam boards and age groups have you taught?
- What are your biggest successes?
If you haven’t tutored before, don’t worry, you could write about similar experiences such as mentoring, teaching or volunteering. You may also write why you want to become a tutor, what you are looking forward to most or how will you prepare and structure your lessons.
One of the biggest concerns for new parents finding a tutor online is trust. I mean, how can someone trust that you’re a good tutor if they’ve never met you before?
Well the best way, without a doubt, is reading your reviews from past students you’ve taught.
All you have to do is click your unique review link at the bottom of your profile and send it to your previous students. It will take about a minute for your students to write a review and it’ll appear directly on your profile and boost your ranking at the same time.
Oh, and we reckon tutors with 3+ reviews are more than 3x more likely to get a message.
5. Profile video: unleash the Spielberg in you…
Last but not least, there’s one sure fire way to stand out from the crowd. Remember that in just 40 milliseconds, people can sense ‘who you are’ just from your photo? Now make that photo move and talk and you’ll drastically increase the number of enquiries you get; whilst breaking down barriers for students meeting you for the first time.
Creating a short (but sweet) profile video will work wonders for your profile and it doesn’t even have to take much effort. Here’s what we recommend:
- Start with something friendly like “Hi, I’m Dorine and I’m from Lancashire…”
- Say how long you’ve been tutoring for, what you teach and why
- Do you have any particular teaching style that makes you a great tutor?
- Finish with the student’s next steps. For example, “Get in touch with me anytime by clicking the “Message Me” button!”
Remember, this isn’t about sharing your life story. Anything under 100 seconds will be ideal.
And that’s it! Our Top 5 Tips on creating an authentic and attractive tutoring profile.
Thanks for reading and good luck creating and submitting your profile. If you’d like any more specific advice, you can always get in touch with our team at any time.